Looking East: Brookes Crescent Reserve showing local children and a playground. In the immediate background Nos. 21, 23, 25 (demolished) and No. 27 (later to be demolished). The owner of No. 21 had undertaken extensive internal renovations and redecorations. No. 25 was bought by the Housing Commission on 23 September 1969 for $7,600 and demolishedContinue reading “24-26 Brookes Crescent, Fitzroy North”
No.18 was classified as “good brick”, August 1970. It was bought by the Housing Commission on 19 March 1971. It was still tenanted as of March 1971; since demolished. There was no demolition or repair order. Taken within the block Church Street-Rae Street- Nicholson Street. Targeted by Housing Commission, Victoria for broad scale demolition andContinue reading “18 Annand St, Fitzroy North”
Looking West: Shop and house, classified as “good brick” in August 1970. Bought by the Housing Commission 8 December 1970, still tenanted on 31 March 1971; no repair or demolition order. The date of demolition is unknown. Taken within the block Church Street-Rae Street- Nicholson Street. Targeted by Housing Commission, Victoria for broad scale demolitionContinue reading “253 Rae Street, Fitzroy North”
More research to be done – if you have anything to add, please let me know.
Research to be done in the future.
Also known as the John Ashton house, built in 1894. It used to be a dairy and has stables at the back of the property. (Yarra Past Port) “This single storey double fronted house was constructed in 1894 for John Ashton, a dairyman. The building is of importance for its intactness and preservation of originalContinue reading “242 Scotchmer St, Fitzroy North (Carnforth)”
“A modest church, constructed in 1874 to the design of Percy Oakden of Terry and Oakden Architects. The brick façade is decorated by contrasting bricks at the window heads and openings, with moulded bricks used as modillions under the side eaves. Colonettes with capitals flank the west door with the label mould above terminating abruptlyContinue reading “484 Nicholson St, Fitzroy North (Methodist Church)”
“This house was constructed in 1887 and altered in 1905, provides a unique impression of Art Nouveau architecture in Melbourne. The exterior is intact with the original unpainted vermiculated cement work, ornate timber and cast iron decorative work, elaborate keyhole lead lighting to the window heads and a square tower with a double curved roof.”Continue reading “43 Alfred Crescent, North Fitzroy (The Tower House, ‘Mygunyah’)”