Also known as the John Ashton house, built in 1894. It used to be a dairy and has stables at the back of the property. (Yarra Past Port)
“This single storey double fronted house was constructed in 1894 for John Ashton, a dairyman. The building is of importance for its intactness and preservation of original finishes. Items of special significance include: the three coloured polychrome brickwork, window and door details with timber colonettes, an elaborately detailed verandah with a gablet pediment over the entrance and a refined decorative iron tympanum infill and dentillation: and the decorative parapet above supported on paired brackets and decorated by balustrades and lush festoons. This building, combined with the dairy at the rear, provides an intact example of a prosperous home and commercial complex that was once a common feature of the inner suburbs.” (North Fitzroy Conservation Study 1978) (Glossary)
Fitzroy Ratebook 1984: brick house 8 rooms and stable 40 pounds – John Ashton, dairyman.