- Architect: Unknown / Builder: Unknown
- Built: Unknown
- First owner: John McMahon
- Other owners: Unknown
Sourced from the Fitzroy Historical Society, July 2007 Newsletter:
John McMahon is one of the distinguished public figures in Fitzroy’s history. He was twice elected Mayor of the city, and held various other important
public functions, as well as being a successful businessman who constructed some significant buildings in the Fitzroy area and elsewhere in
The most famous of the building works undertaken by McMahon in Fitzroy was the grand home at 75 Alfred Crescent, North Fitzroy, known as “The
Haven”, built in 1889. Other buildings constructed by McMahon are the terraces at 53 and 55 Alfred Crescent, North Fitzroy, and the row of 10 shops
known as “Gladstone Terrace” on the corner of St Georges Road and Tranmere Street, North Fitzroy.
McMahon was first returned to the Fitzroy City Council in 1877 and was twice elected Mayor. During his time on the Council the Fitzroy Library was founded (his name appears on the stonework in front of the Library steps) and the Edinburgh Gardens were established. Other public offices
McMahon held were President of the Road and Bridge League, Northcote, and Chairman of the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works. He also donated over 50 of his collection of early Australian literature and original manuscripts of Australian history to the Newman College library.