No. 37 was described as “good weatherboard” it had been recently reroofed. The posters ‘This house not for sale to the housing Commission’. and Election Poster for Gabriella Orenstien, anti-Housing Commission candidate, August 1971 elections (Urban Renewal Committee of Citizens Action Group). Also visible to the West of No. 37, is No. 35 (pair toContinue reading “37 Church Street, Fitzroy North”
Number 83 Smith Street is the current empty block on the corner of Smith St and Gertrude St. It has been empty since at least 1930. The above photo is also interesting as it has the original fire hydrant and base of the original gas lamp. Both have now been removed. The lamp post wasContinue reading “77-83 Smith St, Fitzroy”
This is the location of the new high school for Fitzroy and Collingwood, so there is nothing remaining. Interior of J. H. Porter Store, a prefabricated iron building. Situated in the grounds of the City of Yarra depot at 111 Queens Parade, North Fitzroy. It was manufactured in 1853.
Each of these beautiful little cottages have been removed (as has the one to their left). These houses were directly across the road to the Fitzroy Library and Town Hall on the north side of Moor St. The houses are now town houses and a park.
These two houses no longer exist. They were opposite the Fitzroy Town Hall, but are now all town houses.
“Moran and Cato was Australia’s best known national grocery chain during the late 19th and early 20th century, and it had its origins in Carlton and Fitzroy. The business was established by Thomas Moran, who partnered with his cousin Frederick Cato in 1881 to run two local grocery stores on Lygon and Brunswick Streets; byContinue reading “277-281 Brunswick St, Fitzroy (Moran & Cato)”
The Belvedere (Belvidere) Hotel was located on the north-west corner of Brunswick Street and Victoria Parade. By 1886 it was the Commercial Hotel and in the 1950’s the Eastern Hill Hotel. The design and build for this hotel are a little sketchy. They could be either: Designed by Joseph Burns and built by Thomas McClelland betweenContinue reading “77 Victoria Pde, Fitzroy (The Belvidere Hotel)”
The Council Club Hotel ran along the side of Napier St, and was eventually demolished to create Atherton Gardens (the park part between the high rise tower and the Childcare that exist today). This Council Club Hotel was the second Council Club Hotel in Fitzroy. The first hotel was on the north east corner onContinue reading “147 Napier St, Fitzroy (The Council Club Hotel)”
St Vincent’s Hospital was originally built in 1851 and is the first terrace in the suburb of Fitzroy (according to Yarra Libraries). St Vincent’s Hospital was established in 1893 and is conducted by the Sisters of Charity and devotes itself to the practical exemplification of those principles of Christianity. The Hospital is open all hoursContinue reading “Victoria Pde, Fitzroy, (St Vincent’s Hospital)”
I have included 278 and 280 Napier Street here, as 278 seems to have been removed sometime between 1875 and now to create the dirt part of the school image below and the bin depot. 280 Napier still stands.