St Vincent’s Hospital was originally built in 1851 and is the first terrace in the suburb of Fitzroy (according to Yarra Libraries).
St Vincent’s Hospital was established in 1893 and is conducted by the Sisters of Charity and devotes itself to the practical exemplification of those principles of Christianity. The Hospital is open all hours to receive urgent cases and in the year ending 31 December 1900, 593 persons were received as in-patients and no less than 572 of these were discharged, as having been either cured or relieved. At the same time, 9,577 out-patients received advice and medicine. Since opening, 3,704 in-patients and 30,681 out-patients had been treated. The demand however exceeds availability and the erection of a new Hospital costing between 15,000 to 20,000 pounds and the construction of a pavilion to accommodate 100 patients was underway as at 1903-1905. (The Cyclopedia of Victoria, 1903-1905, Vol 1, p.445).
The following are a collection of photos related to the hospital.