67-69 George Street, Fitzroy

“This pair of houses is presented as a unified composition despite different dates of construction.  Number 67 was constructed in 1873 for Hewitt Henderson, a dairyman, to the design of architect, G.R. Cox, and it is likely that Henderson employed the same architect when he built 69 as a pair in 1888.  Henderson was a successful dairyman and held extensive property at Epping, and his wife Jane also held property at Coburg.”

Google Image- Dec 2020

“The house is the only known dwelling by the architect George Reilly Cox” (who is also the designer of the All Saint’s Catholic Church Hall in Condell Street (1864)).  “The Renaissance Revival window surrounds, cornice treatment and quoining result in a sophisticated composition.  The exterior is intact apart from the replacement of the verandah on number 69 by an inappropriate tiled roof and column.  The delicate cast iron bressummer, frieze and column to number 67 (the original verandah treatment) provides a model for restoration and replacement of the verandah to number 69.  The cast iron fencing with masonry posts and bluestone plinth is intact.”

“Number 67 was originally used as the dairyman’s residence with stabling at the rear, and retained this use until 1899.  In 1900 both houses were used by boarders and owned by Mrs. Jane Henderson (it appears that Hewitt Henderson died in 1893).  It is considered by the consultants that 18-20 Lyons Street, Ballarat, provides a better example of Renaissance Revival terrace house.  However, this building is of great importance locally, particularly since the architect is known.”

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: