117-119 George Street, Fitzroy

“This single storey house was constructed for William Candy, a botanist who owned occupied the property from 1866-1897; his son William, a filter maker, also is noted as owner and occupier.  The ornamental parapet with stone decorations is of interest, and it is probably that these decorations came from Candy’s monumental works.  In 1855, Candy’s monumental works was at 26 Napier Street and was advertised as providing grave stones; In 1856, Candy was advertised as producing window sills, hearth stones, steps and contracting for erection iron fences.” (South Fitzroy Conservation Study, 1979, p.123).

realestate.com.au 2007

A picture containing building, outdoor, old, house

Description automatically generatedrealestate.com.au 2007

Rear of the house – realestate.com.au – 2007

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: