“This bank constructed in 1886 to the design of architect W.A. Tyree, provides an excellent example of transitional boom classicism, a style characterised by the distortion and elaboration of the rules and conventions of conservative classicism (The Argus, 13 February 1886). It is a two storey corner bank with the entrance through the splayed corner, and the Queens Parade side has a separate entrance to the residence. The upper floor contains a recessed loggia running along part of both faces and around the corner, but closed at either end. The lower floor has a bluestone rough dressed base, a rusticated section and arched windows, between which runs an impost moulding with an elaborate band of acanthus leaves.
The main entrance door consists of a pediment on Tuscan columns framing a transom lunette which is now in plain glass, a dentillated transom bar and the doors below which have been modernised. The residence entrance also has a pediment, but in this case it is a recessed space inside with steps running to the door. The entrance door itself at the top of the steps is a six panelled door, again with a lunette transom light and dentillated transom bar. (Trethowan, A Study of Banks in Victoria 1851-1939, for the Historic Buildings Preservation Council December 1976; and North Fitzroy Conservation Study, 1978). (Glossary)