145 St Georges Road, Fitzroy North (Church of Christ)

Victorian Heritage Database photo – taken c. 1975

Also known as the Greek Seventh Day Adventist Church.

“This church, constructed in 1887 to the cost of 2,000 pounds is a polychrome fronted church. The church survives remarkably intact and differs little in appearance from an early photo of 1903. The façade is broken up by two pilasters which rise up through the gable end and support simple conical tops in cement work. There are buttresses at the corners. Otherwise the front is flat in brown brick with rather fussy diamonds of cream brick picked out up the pilasters and buttresses and zig-zagging up the sides of the windows. There is a central entrance door with a cement label mould terminating in foliated crockets which are not identical. Above there is a three light window (with cream brick window heads and hood moulds) unified by a single label mould across the three. The spandrel panel between the three arches and the second large label mould arch is filled in with herring bone red brick running horizontally. This central panel is flanked on either side of the pilasters by single light Gothic windows, again with cement label moulds and crockets. Above each window is a blind circular oculus with herringbone brick work and a cement star filling up the oculus. The ring around the oculus is formed in cream brick with four quadrant pyramidal keystones. Bluestone steps run down to a section of intact tiled paving. There is an intact cast iron picket fence in the front with hollow cast iron piers. There is nothing of significance on the side and the plan is a plain rectangle. (North Fitzroy Conservation Study 1978) (Glossary)

Copy of a photograph from 1903 – taken from the North Fitzroy Conservation study 1978, which sourced the photo from ‘Maston, A.B. (ed.) Jubilee Fictorial History of Churches of Christ in Australasia, Melbourne, Astral Publishing Co. 1903. p.195)

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: