“Started as a small ginger beer factory on this site in 1866 by Robert Harrison, the factory expanded into one of the largest and longest surviving Fitzroy cordial factories, producing a wide range of cordials, aerated waters and mineral waters. The firm was still operating as R. Harrison Pty. Ltd. well into the 1950s. The bi-chrome brick buildings on the south east corner of Spring and Argyle Streets. are perhaps the most impressive factory in Fitzroy and was classified on the Historic Buildings Register.” Lina Favrin – Yarra Past Port
Mr Robert Harrison passed away in 1898 and the company was purchased by Messrs. Vance Gregg and Charles Chapman, who had been connected with the company for over seventeen years. By 1903, Gregg was General Manager and Chapman was Cordial Maker. In 1903, the buildings are described as “the factory, a two-story brick building situated at the corner of Spring and Argyle Streets, Fitzroy, is fitted up with a thoroughly up-to-date plant and equipment and is one of the most compact and conveniently arranged factories in the State, capable of turning out an enormous quantity of aerated waters etc., daily during the summer months”. The site uses 240 filters provided by J. Jeffery of Spring St, Melbourne and had five 400 gallon tanks. (Cyclopedia of Victoria, 1903-1905, Vol 2. p.178).
The company’s stables and their 25 waggons were situated on the other side of the road to the factory to ensure cleanliness. (Cyclopedia of Victoria, 1903-1905, Vol 2. p.179). (Photos of Gregg and Chapman also from the Cyclopedia).