Built in 1892? (the Conservation Study 1978 was not able to verify this), it is unknown who the architect, builder or first owner is, but we do know that Alfred Yelland is resident from at least 1900.
“A large terrace house in a clumsy Victorian Edwardian transitional style with elliptical arcading on rusticated piers and a large triangular pediment with a decorated tiled infill panel. The horizontal friezes at both levels are decorated with swags, and the cast iron fence is intact. Internally there is an elaborate Jacobean newel post and a heavy banister to the stairs; plaster detailing in good condition although not original colours and pleasing marble fireplaces, one with an elaborate tiled surround to the grate”. (North Fitzroy Conservation Study 1978) (Glossary)
Alfred Charles William Yelland (Doctor)
Was a “medical practitioner, practising at 133 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Victoria” (later to be renumbered to 153 Brunswick, North Fitzroy and later again to 591 Brunswick) “was born at Kingston, near Ballarat (1870), and is a son of the late Rev. Charles May Yelland, who was for many years connected with St. Saviour’s Church in Fitzroy and Collingwood. Dr. Yelland was educated at the Scotch College, and afterwards studied at Queen’s and Trinity Colleges, Melbourne University. Having obtained his diploma M.B. et Ch.B., in 1896 he proceeded to New South Wales and commenced the practice of his profession, acting as surgeon to the Urana Hospital. From thence he was appointed resident surgeon in the Creswick Hospital, a position he filled for some time. In 1900 he came to Melbourne and established himself in practice in North Fitzroy, where he has continued to pursue his profession ever since. The doctor is an earnest student of numismatics, and has formed an extensive collection of coins, being the owner of some rare and valuable specimens. He has lately loaned to the Public Library an interesting assemblage of early Australian and Tasmanian paper money. He is a member and one of the founders of the Old Scotch Collegians’ Club and acts as hon. surgeon to the various sporting clubs connected with the Commercial Travellers Club, Melbourne. He is also a member of council of the Metropolitan Rifle Clubs’ Association. Locally he is vice-president of the Tennis Club, and hon. surgeon and physician to the Fitzroy Football and Cricket Clubs.” (The Cyclopedia of Victoria, 1903-1905, Vol 1, p. 458)
Yelland was resident here from 1900 to at least 1924 where he resides with Maybelle Elsie (home duties) (Electoral roll 1924) to whom he was married in 1903. Prior to this he lives for a little while in 1894 at 98 McKean Street (owned by Mary S Yelland, who was Alfred’s mother) and then in the stables of Frederick Own at 140 Rose Street in 1900. Yelland died at age 55 after some period of illness on 21 Sep 1926 (Weekly Times 25 Sep 1926).
McKean also owned 98 McKean Street (1894 Rate books) and it looks like this becomes the home of his daughters who are recorded as living here in 1924.