Thomas Hewlett (Doctor)
Was born at Abingdon, Berkshire, England and was the son of Rev. J. T. J. Hewlett of Hanbridge, county of Essex, England. His education commenced at a Grammar School in Wantage, Berkshire. Thence he proceeded to Doncaster in the county of York, where he was articled to a medical man, and attended St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, taking the degree of M.R.C.S. Eng., and L.S.A. in the year 1858, and passed the Army Medical Board the following year. He then joined the 2nd Battalion of the 19th Regiment as assistant surgeon, spending three years in this capacity, and at the expiration of this period proceeded to India, where he remained a few months, and then decided to visit Australia, arriving in Melbourne in the year 1862. After spending some time in visiting the principal districts of the colonies, he was most favourably impressed with Victoria, and decided to settle down in practice at Fitzroy, where he has worked uniterruptedly ever since, with the exception of a nine months’ rest in the year 1883, which he devoted to a trip to England and the Continent of Europe. The doctor is a member of the Medical board of Victoria. (The Cyclopedia of Victoria, 1903-1905, Vol 1, p.446).
After coming to Melbourne in 1862 he settled initially in Moor Street, renting from D Blair. His occupation was recorded as a Surgeon (Rate Books 1869). It appears he then moves to 122 Nicholson Street and is located there in from 1870 to the early 80s. This place is also owned by D Blair and is the 5th house north of St Andrews Pub. (Rate Books 1879, 1881 and The Argus 16 Aug 1870, birth notice of daughter).
By 1892, Thomas had moved into 102 Nicholson St (3rd house south of St Andrews Pub), suggesting this house is now what is known as 116 Nicholson St, though I might not totally have this right, as the Electoral Rolls of 1903, have Thomas (Doctor), Millicent (Home Duties), Joseph (Independent means) and Arthur (unreadable) living at 102 Nicholson St, and at 116, Herbert (Thomas’ son) and Caroline Hewlett. Herbert was also a doctor, so it may have been that at the time they were both practicing at 116 Nicholson St.
Thomas passed away in 1904 after suffering for some time with a heart condition at his Nicholson Street home (Fitzroy City Press, 30 Sep 1904). He also owned a wood shed and land 10-12 Cremorne St, which may have been used by his second son.
Herbert Maunsell Hewlett (Doctor)
Herbert also practiced at Nicholson St, Fitzroy. “Herbert was born in Melbourne on 13 October 1872. His education began at the Carlton College under Mr. Alexander Sutherland M.A. and from thence he matriculated at the Melbourne University, where he prosecuted his studies for three years, and then left for Great Britain. there he continued them in Edinburgh, and at the Rotunda Hospital, Dublin. During his course he studied under Sir Henry Littlejohn, John Duncan (taking his senior prize), Joseph Bell, Alexander James, Halliday Croom and Smyley, of Dublin; took many prizes and secured a ‘pass with distinction’ in his final year. Under Dr. Thomson, Edinburgh, he did special work as regards diseases of children. On returning to Victoria he settled down in practice at his present address. Dr. Hewlett is hon. medical officer to the Children’s Hospital, Carlton and X rays specialist thereto; also lecturer in physiology to the Australian College of Dentistry, Melbourne. He married in 1899, a daughter of Mr. T. W. Lincoln of St. Kilda.” (The Cyclopedia of Victoria, 1903-1905, Vol 1, p.446)