William ‘Bill’ Lugton (Engineer)
Alexander and Judith initially had two boys, both William ‘Bill’ and Alexander ‘Joe’ join their father working in Alexander’s blacksmiths, engineers and boilermakers in Lonsdale Street in the late 1860’s. “Joe became the engineer and planner within the business” and in 1875, the firm became ‘A Lugton and Sons’. According to the Heidelberg Historical Society “Joe married Emily Victoria Morcombe who was from Collingwood in August 1877 at his parents’ house in Gertrude Street, Fitzroy. They set up home near Joe’s parents at 29 Leicester Street, Fitzroy. After their first child, Edward died in infancy, they moved to a bigger house in Fitzroy where the next 12 children were born.”
In 1878, Joe is living at 29 Leicester Street, a brick house of 4 rooms (1878, 1879 Rate Books. William (his older brother is living at 43 Leicester). These numbers changed with the renumbering in the mid 1880’s and 29 Leicester became 35 Leicester.
In 1881, Joe had moved out from 29. William still owns 43 Leicester, but has moved out. Charles Thomas is now living here. (1881 Rate Books). 43 Leicester became 53 Leicester. This house is no longer standing.