“This building was constructed as an artists studio in 1864-65 for Samuel Calvert a well known Melbourne engineer and illustrator. In 1874 the studio became the property of Louis Buvelot also an artist, who’s widow owned the property from 1891 until after 1900. This building is of considerable importance as an early Melbourne artist studio, which was constructed and used as such from 1864-1865 until at least 1900. Calvert was an active artist in Melbourne from 1850-1890 and had been associated with William Blake. He illustrated many papers including The Age, Illustrated Melbourne Post, Armchair, Melbourne Punch, Newsletter of Australasia. One of his best-known works is his panoramic view of Melbourne, engraved and published in December 1871.” (South Fitzroy Conservation Study, 1979, p.119).
“Louis Buvelot is of as great or greater importance. He migrated to Australia in 1865 for health reasons. He was the main source of inspiration to the founds for the Heidelberg School. He died at Melbourne on May 30th 1888 holding the undisputed rank of Victoria’s most eminent landscape painter. This building is considered of statewide significance historically as the studio of two of Australia’s well known artists. It is substantially intact and is in reasonably good condition.” (South Fitzroy Conservation Study, 1979, p.118).