“This three storey red brick building on an acute angle site is in the Queen Anne style of architecture and was designed by the architects Oakden, Addison and Kemp in 1899 (Australian Builders and Contractors News 26 Jan 1889). This firm of architects is one of the most notable exponents of Queen Anne architecture in Melbourne, and designed two other branches for the bank in this style – at Kerang and St. Arnaud (B. Trethowan “A Study of Banks in Victoria 1851-1939” Dec 1976). All three banks exhibit the characteristics of Queen Anne Architecture: Steep pitched gable roofs with tall elaborate chimneys, exposed brick walls with stucco or contrasting brick mouldings and no roof parapets, and pointed or segmental arch windows. These windows are a distinctive feature of Richard Norman Shaw’s work in England (for example, Old Swan House, London). The North Fitzroy branch is the most notable example of Queen Anne bank architecture in Melbourne. Built originally for the London Chartered Bank, it became the London Bank of Australasia on 10th August 1893, the E.S. & A. Bank on the 1st January 1921, and finally the ANZ Bank on the 1st October 1970.
The composition, is emphasised by a hexagonal pyramidal roof with a finial-come-weather vane on top in iron. Small ornamental crockers? run down the top part of the ridges. On the lane elevation there are two haunched brick chimneys with vertical projecting banks and a small dormer window. On the front and corner elevation there are windows in the upper (third) floor which have gables cutting up three ? ? of line. There is not indication of original finials on these ?.
The façade is divided up by painted horizontal brick ?. These were originally cream moulded cornice bricks, and the overall effect of the composition has been greatly altered by the painting of this relieving brickwork Segmental arch window heads also in brick with bowtell mould for ?? plain and on the ?? two floors brick aprons ?? the eves line there is an elaborate pattern of stepped out brickwork. On the Queens Parade elevation the entrance has been totally modernised with two former bays combined to become a wide entrance door. There is a moulded bluestone plinth to the base of the building which is now painted.
At the rear of the building the original cream relieving bricks are visible. Cast iron rectangular section downpipes with interesting Gothic cast iron rain / water heads are fitted to the wall by trefoil Gothic brackets. The windows ? at the back have upper sashes ? lead light windows, ?? some painted panes. There are four iron ?? blind cases. The interior of the banking chamber has been completely modernised.” (North Fitzroy Conservation Study, 1978). (Glossary)