This building, constructed in 1912 replaced an earlier timber fire station built at this site believed to have been built in 1888 (as seen below).
“This building, constructed in 1912, possibly to the design of Cedric Ballantyne, is a brick composition in five bays relieved by rendered strips, string lines, Corinthianesque capitals and a broken upper cornice and central baroque pediment. It replaced an earlier timber fire station built at this site in 1888 to the design of George Johnson (Australian Builder and Contractors News 14 July 1888, Letting of tenders for original Station, G. R Johnson, Architect). It is an important and intact example of a fire station of the period. It has survived the tendency to widen entrance doors with deep concrete lintels and modern doors. Although not of the scale of the earlier South Melbourne Station, it still provides an important streetscape element.” (North Fitzroy Conservation Study 1978). (Glossary)