“The Beswick Building of eight 3 storey shops was built in Brunswick St by 1888-89 for the Australian Property and Investment Co. Ltd. The architect was John Beswick and the builder was Ralph Besant. Three storey frontages face the street, and there are two storey wings at the rear of each shop. The asymmetric design features a central tower with lunettes, and a corner turret topped by a lantern. In the 1950’s most of the occupants were clothing manufacturers. Today the tenants above the shops are from the ‘creative industries’.” (Mike Moore, FHS Newsletter – Nov 2021)
Walter Monckton, was a tailor, having his factory and shop at #246 – not sure of date, Henry Jacobs also occupied 246 at one point with his Boot Factory and his 15 employees.