129-131 Greeves Street, Fitzroy

“This building was erected in 1890 for the firm A. Horne & Son as Fitzroy Ironworks. Alexander Horne, the founder, established his blacksmith shop in Smith St. in 1858, and subsequently the firm operated at 302 Gore St. (just north of Greeves St.), before moving around the corner to this building. Their main products were domestic and builders’ ironwork.In 1924, this building was taken over by the company Crankless Engines (Aust.) Ltd. and was used as a workshop and design office for developing and testing prototypes of a novel engine, a crankless engine , invented by the well- known Melbourne consulting engineer A.G.M. Mitchell. By the late 1930s this building had been taken over by the Kent Equipment Manufacturing Co., who produced office stationery and furnishings.” – Lina Favrin – Yarra Past Port

Google Image – Jan 2021
Committee for Urban Action 1970-1974 Image – State Library Victoria – CUAFY140/11
Fitzroy Ironworks, 129-131 Greeves Street – Fitzroy Industrial Walk

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: