Note this address may not be fully accurate. It is recorded by the Yarra Libraries as the corner of St Georges Road and Tranmere Street, but there are houses on either side of the store. The buildings on one corner were built in the 1880’s so it is possible it was on the south side of Tranmere St, not the north side as pinned here.
John Charles Harford, a fitter and turner, arrived from England in 1870 with his wife Mary Anne. She worked as a needle-woman in St. James’s Palace for Queen Victoria. Harford was unable to obtain work in his trade, so he opened a store. Text from Yarra Libraries.