“The Union Club Hotel is located on the corner of Webb Street and Gore Street. It was opened in 1847 by James Sword, and was originally called the Collingwood Hotel. The name was changed to the Union Club Hotel in 1886.” (Only Melbourne Historic Melbourne Hotels). It was built by Thomas Bready, an Irish man who also built the houses 80 Webb Street and 90 George Street (Deakin’s birth place).
“Built around the turn of the century, this hotel with its red brick façade; its windows and door dressings, the 2 broad bands at each floor level and the cornice being plastered in flat panes and painted cream is a poor man’s version of the Edwardian style”. (Hotels in Fitzroy up to 1906, Nicola A Piccolo, 1971).