This grandstand constructed in 1888 to the design of N. Billing and Son Architects, is half hipped at either end with a small projecting gable (originally designed to take a clock face) on the southern elevation. A subsiciary cantilever roof below the main roof surrounds the building, strutted out from iron columns by diagonals. These unfluted corinthian columns have connector joints specially cast to take the struts. A balustrade of cast iron panels (partially hollow backed) of a flamboyant late character runs along the front and up the sloping sides. Special panels with raking tops and bottoms have been cast to fit the slope.
The rear of the grandstand has panels with diagonal boarding set in camfer stopped frames similar to the timber gatehouse. The timber trussed roof, clad in corrugated iron, appears to have supported finials at either end. There are flag poles at the far end above the gables. The adjoining stand, of which only the foundations remain appears to have been the same or similar. This stand was built in 1905 to the cost of 3,000 pounds. This stand was burnt down. The surviving grandstand is of importance in a local context and is an important landmark to the area.” (North Fitzroy Conservation Study, 1978, p.93-94). (Glossary)
The Fitzroy Cricket Club Timber Gatehouse club building is “of similar character to the first pavilion in the Parliamentary Gardens, if a five bay arrangement with a pediment over the central bay. The roof is of corrugated iron with delicate cast iron ridge capping along the main and transverse ridges. The valence boarding (similar to the brick gatehouse on the southern side of the cricket ground) consists of short pointed lengths of board projecting downwards so that a pair of adjoining boards from an ogee arch. This boarding continues around to the gable ends. Above each gateway bay are panels containing diagonal boarding with chamfer stopped timber framing members. Two very simple half finials remain – these are composed of a central spike and a little bracket which projects outwards from the gable end (not backwards into the roof ridge). The date of construction is not known. The building does not appear on the MMBW Survey of 1895, but was probably constructed soon after this date around 1900. The building is at present in poor condition is being renovated” (North Fitzroy Conservation Study 1978, p94.) (Glossary)
The Fitzroy Cricket Club Brick Gatehouse was constructed in c1895 “This building constructed probably c1895 presents a facade to Freeman Street of seven bays. The four bays projecting slightly forwards are surmounted by timber finials. The end bays behind the gables are surmounted by unusual pyramidical roofs, (with finials now missing) reminiscent of the work of William Kent. The whole facade is in red brick decorated by cement bands (with evidence of former ochre colouring), and is typical of building work in the early twentieth century. The original use of this building is uncertain. In the ground floor there are lavatories and urinals all the way along. The upper floor looks as though it must have been a sitting or standing area. It is now sheeted over but has ornamental pointed valence boards hanging down all the way along. This is similar to the timber work in the timber gatehouse at the north side of the cricket ground. The date of this building is not known, however it appears on the 1897 MMBW survey map and was possibly built just prior to this date.” (North Fitzroy Conservation Study 1978, p95.) (Glossary)