There is not a lot to show of Alma Street, Fitzroy any more. It is the back lane to a number of buildings which serve as St Vincents Hospital and various buildings which front Gertrude Street.
But back in 1920, there were a number of little brick houses along this street, that had likely existed there for some years. In March 1920, the Office of Health requested that 14 Alma Street, 16 Alma Street, 18 Alma Street and 20 Alma Street, all brick houses, be declared as no fit for human occupation or habitation and that from the 24th April 1920, that none of these houses were to be occupied or inhabited. (Fitzroy City Press, 13 March 1920)