9 Birkenhead Street, Fitzroy North (Jam Factory)

Google image – October 2011

“A two storey brick building, constructed in 1890, and owned from 1890 by Mr. Henry Gage a furniture manufacturer. It was later occupied by C.E. Ellen, a Jam Manufacturer. It was described in 1903 as “a two storey building complete with every description of wood-turning machinery. This factory is set between residential buildings. The façade is simple with a cement rendered string course at first floor level and at the bottom of the pediment. There are three mock chimneys on the parapet behind the front gable.” North Fitzroy Conservation Study 1978. (Glossary)

Photo from The Cyclopedia of Victoria, 1903-1905, Vol 1, p. 570
Photo from The Cyclopedia of Victoria, 1903-1905, Vol 1, p. 570

“This business was established in 1854 by the late J. T. Mourant. Mr Henry Gage, his successor, enjoys a large connection throughout the State as a manufacturer of brewers’ and vignerons’ woodware. The premises in Birkenhead Street, Fitzroy, comprise a substantial two-story building, replete with every description of wood-turning machinery. Mr Gage is well known as the inventor and manufacturer of a beer and wine cock, bearing his name as a trade mark, for which there is a large demand from all parts of the Australian States. He also carries on an extensive business as a manufacturer of all kinds of furniture and his factory finds constant employment for a large number of hands.” (The Cyclopedia of Victoria, 1903-1905, Vol 1, p. 570)

Henry Cage was still operating from the site in 1913 when he appeared in court having had use of more apprentices than allowed by law (The Age, 19 Jun 1913)

National History Database – circa 1970s

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: