The Fitzroy Art Metal Co was in Johnston Street from 1913 until at least 1965. Initially it was closer to Fitzroy Street (no. 75), but by November 1916 it had moved to numbers 61-63 Johnston Street. (Mike Moore, Fitzroy History Society Newsletter, March 2019)
With the demolition of the building to the left of the now Spanish Club it revealed a ghost sign which would have been visible from 1920 to the late 1920s when the Masonic Hall was built. The sign of particular relevance is the ‘Fitzroy Art Manufacturing Company’ at the top of the photo.
The owner was Alfred Hartley, who died in March 1920. The business however continued to exist at this address from 1920 to 1965. (Mike Moore, Fitzroy History Society Newsletter, March 2019)