This four house terrace was constructed prior to 1858, and was possibly designed John Gill in 1853, although this has not been verified. It is possible that the two houses designed by John Gill in George Street, Collingwood in 1853 form part of this group. “In 1851 he designed a group of seven houses for William F Splatt, M.L.C., and in 1854 Gill called tenders for two houses in Nicholson Street (probably the first part of Royal Terrace). If these houses can be attributed to Gill they are of considerable importance. They would provide the earliest surviving example of a terrace development outside Melbourne conforming to the requirements of the 1849 Melbourne Building Act” (South Fitzroy Conservation Study, 1979, p.119-120).
“The facades have been altered to numbers 53 and 59, but the unusual classicizing design of the central pair with paved pilasters projecting through the string course and cornice (and terminating in a debased pediment) is of considerable interest.” (South Fitzroy Conservation Study, 1979, p.119-120).
“William Reynolds, a gentleman, owned these houses at this dates. Reynold occupied all the properties at various times, but primarily they were rented out. Numbers 55 and 59 were used as boarding houses for a long period of time.” (South Fitzroy Conservation Study, 1979, p.119-120).