446 Brunswick St, Fitzroy (Royal Derby Hotel)

“Built around the turn of the century, this hotel building is a marriage of Queen Anne and Edwardian architecture; the traditional Queen Anne terra cotta tile roof stretching over the broken parapet covers an Edwardian facade – a bold grid of cream paint with rectangular panels of red brickwork in between” (Hotels in Fitzroy up to 1906, Nicola A Piccolo, 1971).

Image held by Fitzroy Library. An inscription on the reverse of the photograph reads “From Dim Jim McGuire to L.B.Schnapper Hughes”. July 1926
Les Hughes Social Club outside of the Royal Derby Hotel, corner Brunswick Street and Alexandra Parade, Fitzroy.  
Image held by Fitzroy Library.

The next photo here taken in 1927 shows the Royal Derby Hotel on the left as Queen’s Pde is built at an angle away from Alexandra Pde.

Image held by Fitzroy Library. Laying asphaltic concrete surfacing over the old concrete foundation of a worn out wood-block road after the wood blocks have been removed. 1927
Image held by Fitzroy Library. This photograph was commissioned by the Fitzroy Photographic Committee in 1986.
Image held by Fitzroy Library. Photo 1978

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: