423 Napier Street, Fitzroy

Jellis Craig Photo from the sale of the property in Sep 2013 – Sold for $3.575m

“The building was built in about 1888 for a leading Fitzroy farrier, John Lancaster, as a branch works to compliment his main forge in Gertrude Street, Fitzroy. It is believed to have been the oldest surviving blacksmiths shop in Fitzroy. The building was then taken over by Lightning Panels in the 1950s and used as a panel beaters’ workshop.” Lina Favrin, Yarra Past Port

The above photo was taken in April 1901. The photo is taken from Gore street, looking west along Westgarth Street. There were no houses between Gore and Napier Street north of Westgarth Street. The property on the very left of this picture is 423 Napier Street, location of Lancaster’s Farrier.
(Junior Cricket: Fitzroy La Mascotte v. South Yarra. Scene of the exciting play on Saturday at Smith Street Reserve, Fitzroy, The Australasian, 27 April 1901, p.26)
John Lancaster’s Shoeing Forge, 423 Napier Street (cnr. Westgarth St.) – Fitzroy Industrial Walk – October 1992

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: