“These two storey arcaded terraces were constructed in 1890 by James Green. They appear to have been altered and extended in 1892 as the assessed annual value increases and each house has 4 more rooms (Fitzroy Ratebook 1890 brick house 5 rooms 30 pounds, Fitzroy Ratebook 1892, brick house 9 rooms 50 pounds). The composition is somewhat heavy with a large balustraded parapet linking the two houses. There is a large segmental arch pediment motif to each terrace, with archivolt moulding and acroteria. The decoration infilling the typanum has been removed on number 41 and remains partially intact to number 39. Two square blocks (with a square recessed panel in each) are positioned on either side of the recessed name plate. Square sectioned balusters surround these motifs. The balls or urns surmounting the parapet have been removed.
Number 39 Rushall Crescent (Clifton) still has the cement work partially intact, but number 41 (Preston) has been painted and the balcony glazed. There is arcading at both levels with a parapet at the front line of the balcony. The arcading is supported by cast iron columns. At the ground floor there are Corinthian capitals of four castings in zinc fixed together at the edges. The arcades at both levels are followed by label moulds terminated by foliated crockets. On the ground floor the arches are decorated by incised voussoirs, with scroll keystones which follow through to the frieze above. There are decorative spandrel panels between the arches.” (North Fitzroy Conservation Study 1978) (Glossary)