Parish schools had a long tradition in Fitzroy, although lay teachers have largely replaced religious as the mainstay. St Brigid’s Catholic Church and school was built in 1869.
“The church was constructed in 1869, originally as a ? gabled nave structure to the design of architect T A Kelly. The contractor was Fortune and the tender price was 1,200 pounds (Illustrated Australian News 7 Aug 1869, p.156; Argus 1 Mar 1869, p.3; and Building Times 1 Oct 1869). In 1873 the side aisles were added by Kelly to create a three gable church, a scheme revived and used by Pugin. A more recent detraction has been the replacement of the slate room (visible in an early photo) by terracotta tiles which is totally out of character with the construction materials. The ?? the column capitals are of an abstracted ornamental form reminiscent of Viollet le Duc’s capitals at Alilant-Sur-Tholon (1865-7). Otherwise there is little of note internally. The design of the church is clumsy in conception. ?? the original scheme was debased by the 1873 additions. However St. Brigid’s is an important landmark to Nicholson Street. (North Fitzroy Conservation Study 1978) (Glossary)