This building was initially an iron foundry back at the turn of the century run by William Robertson. It now has been converted into housing.
“The North Fitzroy Iron Foundry, 34 and 36 McKean Street, North Fitzroy. Manufacturers of Tomb Railings, cast iron soil and sewerage pipes and fittings, engineers’ castings, etc. Contractors to the Melbourne and Metropolitan board of Works. William Robertson the proprietor of the above foundry, is a man of undoubted ability and untiring energy, for whom the word ‘failure’ does not exist. Establishing the now prosperous business in the very heart of the depression which followed the ‘boom’ period in Melbourne history, he has achieved a victory over adversity, and may well be proud of his prowess in the fight. At the time of our visit Mr. Robertson was very busy with Metropolitan Board work and we were surprised at the large stock of fittings which require to be kept on hand in order to meet demands. General engineering work provides constant employment for a number of moulders. Tomb railings of varied and artistic designs are also turned out in large quantities. Agricultural implement castings, lasts, sash weights, furnace doors, grates and, in fact , castings of all descriptions can be made.” (The Cyclopedia of Victoria, 1903-1905, Vol 1, p.591)