The original Standard Hotel was built and licensed by James Burrell in 1865. The site was owned by the Burrell family from 1859 to 1921. Mrs E Burrell was licensee from 1875 and the son, Harry G Burrell from 1881.
M A Burrell was licensee from 1896 and Mrs Mary Burrell from 1897 to 1906. Harry G Burrell was mayor of Fitzroy in 1894 to 1895. The rate book recorded the property as a brick building with 8 rooms in 1871 and a brick building with 12 rooms in 1891. (Fitzroy History Society Newsletter, July 2018)
From 1921 to 1955 it was operated/owned by Annie and Frank Cooke. On the death in 1955, the property was worth 30,000 pounds and was bequeathed to the Royal Melbourne Hospital. (Fitzroy History Society Newsletter, July 2018)
The hotel was rebuilt or remodelled in 1927 to the art deco design of architect Harry Norris. Nicola Piccolo notes the feature of the giant, two storey high columns which reflect the trend during this period of Greek Inspired architecture.