This former Temperance Hall was built in 1884, the architect is unknown, however it is believed that it was built by William Spurr, who was also the first owner. According to the North Fitzroy Conservation Study of 1978. “The facade is distinguished by a complete trabeated system represented on the facade in pilasters of the Tuscan and Corinthian orders and by delicate segmental window hoods in the upper storey. The ground floor pilaster to the left of the door has been removed. The facade is surmounted by a delicate dentillated cornice, and broken by a string course at the dividing line. The central double doorway is framed by an archivolt broken by a keystone. There is a delicate circular pattern immediately below the window sill. The whole effect is one of simplicity and refinement. This hall was built after the adjoining houses and provides a strong terminating element to a simple row of two storey terrace houses” (Glossary)
The house was in use as a Temperance Hall in January 1886, and housed a concert in aid of a local who had broken his leg at the new Collingwood Town Hall and had a dangerously ill child.
This site was used by the Seventh Day Adventists. Initially the Seventh Day Adventists met in tents around Richmond and Fitzroy North. Then they moved their meetings to a number of different places such as Temperance Halls while they waited for the present church to be built. This particular location on Rae Street Fitzroy North was used from August 1893 to March 1896.