Thomas McMahen (takes over from W. G. Raven in 1892)
“Thomas McMahen was born in Melbourne in 1859, and is the fifth son of the late William McMahen, merchant, late of Swanston Street, Melbourne, who at the time of his death in 1893, was one of the oldest colonists, having arrived in Melbourne in 1838, where his first position was under Captain Thomas, Protector of Aboriginals. Thomas McMahen, when but a child, moved with his parents to the country to a place called Keysborough situated near Dandenong, and named after the Keys family, of whom he is a relative. There with his father, he carried on grazing, farming and dairying.” (The Cyclopedia of Victoria, 1903-1905, p. 100)
“In 1890 he settled down for himself at ‘Amysville’ Brighton Road, Keysborough and married Miss Raven, only daughter of the late W. G. Raven, J.P., of 227 Smith Street, Fitzroy, and Orphelia House, Rathdown Street, Carlton; he being one of the oldest, most respected, and most successful undertakers in the colony. On the death of Mr. Raven in 1892, he (Thomas) took up the business of his father-in-law…”. They had branches at 177 Queen’s Parade, Clifton Hill and 393 Burwood Road, Hawthorn. (The Cyclopedia of Victoria, 1903-1905, p. 100). There is more information on McMahen in the Cyclopedia.