“This building, constructed in 1888 for Samuel Lazarus, a financier, is a two storey polychrome terrace with a space at one side with a small attachment set back from the front. The detailing as a whole is not very remarkable. The verandah has been filed in, probably in the the 1920’s. The balustrade is rather unusual with almost square balcony panels. These panels are of a late design from the catalogue of Excelsior Iron Works of South Melbourne issued by William Stephens in 1901. (EG Robertson Victorian Heritage Georgian House Melbourne 1960, p.74). The parapet above has round section balusters cut through by the name plate which is composed of incised pilasters flanking the name ‘Hatherlie’. One urn and an acroterion surmount the tympanum which is flanked by scrolls on top of the balustrade. There are consoles and decorated relief blocks down the sides at both levels. The small side wing is of similar polychrome brickwork with a half timbered gable end. The interior has been altered but has some pressed metal ceilings.
This terrace is best appreciated in conjunction with 218 and 220 McKean Street, which are largely intact polychrome terraces. 220 has an intact parapet with elaborate pedimental section scallop shell balusters and scrolls. The top of the pediment to 218 has been removed. (North Fitzroy Conservation Study, 1978, p. 105-106).