The Christian Israelite Sanctuary was built in 1861. The contractor was Thomas W. Hannaford. The building was constructed of squared bluestone with a pediment in classical temple form to the front (east) elevation. The simple form and austere style of this building is typical of the architectural tradition adopted by many Non-conformist churches of the period and the modest, unadorned interior reflects the religious beliefs of its adherents. The church building has blind round-headed windows to the front (east) and side (north) elevations, and two roof lanterns to light the interior. Notable internal elements include the high pulpit, rail, balcony and stairs, vestibule and pews. (Text from Yarra Libraries).