“This pair of houses was constructed in 1886 for William Garrity. The ground floor has projecting bay windows with a string course supported by acanthus leaves at dado height. The cast iron work to the verandah is of a delicate circular pattern. A steep slate roof unifies the two houses (without a dividing parapet) and the roof is surmounted by a chimney with vermiculated panels and projecting cornice supported on brackets. The side elevation of patterned brickwork, has an interesting entrance portico.” North Fitzroy Conservation Study 1978 (Glossary)
William Garrity lived at number 21. The National Heritage Trust records the houses as having “an unusual form for inner Melbourne row houses in that there is a single hipped roof covering both houses, as well as an unusual four-stage parapet”. The house was classified in April 1974. The photo below right is likely to have been taken as part of the heritage study.
Number 19 is the large house with the big veranda on the far left of this picture. You can also see a number of other houses along this street. Note the tram / train X on the right of the photo heading into Edinburgh Gardens!