“This house, constructed in 1869 for Charles Harrison, a Salesman, was one of the first four houses in McKean Street. In 1880 Henry George purchased the property and rented it to Mr. T. A. Kelly, the architect who designed St.Bridget’s Church, North Fitzroy and many other buildings of importance. In 1888 the house was purchased by Emmanuel Corben, a mason who put up the name plate next to the door ‘J.B. Corben’ in white marble with black inlaid marble lettering. (For Wilson Corben and Co, slate merchants, see official record of the Melbourne International Exhibition 1880-1881 advert. p. iv Victoria and its Metropolis Vol. 2, p. 660, Cyclopedia of Vitoria, Vol 2. p.142 – note: Isaac Corben was the founding partner of this firm, but it is very likely that J.B. Corben is connected).
There is interesting woodwork to the verandah: square chamfer stopped timber posts, a plain bar across at frieze level, and timber brackets of a 3 leaf design. (Some brackets and a corner post missing). There is a very plain cornice flanked by blocks supported by consols and a pediment motif of scrolls and foliage. ” (North Fitzroy Conservation Study, 1978).