“Town Hall Hotel is located on the corner of Johnston Street and Napier Street. It was opened in 1866 by James McGowan, who took over the site from a grocery shop. It was originally called the Junction Hotel, and named the Town Hall Hotel in 1974. It is currently called the Purple Turtle.” (Only Melbourne Historic Hotels)
“The hotel was rebuilt in this Greek-inspired style in 1925, at a cost of 6,200 pounds” (Hotels in Fitzroy up to 1906, Nicola A Piccolo, 1971).