This amazing image shows the construction of the hotel on the corner of Gertrude and Napier Streets which is the Gertrude Hotel on the SW side of the intersection.
“Squizzy Taylors Hotel on the south west corner of Gertrude Street and Napier Street was opened in 1854 by Thomas Drewery, and named Family Hotel. Its establishment was opposed by the United Presbyterian Church. In 1856 it changed its name to Drewery’s Family Hotel, and then to the Leviathan Hotel in 1858. The area around the junction of Napier Street and Gertrude Street was frequented by Melbourne gangster Squizzy Taylor. There were also hotels on the north-east corner (now a Gilgamesh Connection restaurant) and the south-west corner of Gertrude Street and Little Napier Street (now a newsagent). At some stage, the hotels name was changed to Squizzy Taylors, in honour of the gangster. It has since been renamed the Renown Tavern.” (Only Melbourne Historic Hotels)