150 Gertrude Street, Fitzroy

“Built in 1853 for Benjamin Drewery who had just built his hotel across the street. In 1860 it was Ross and Smith’s grocery shop and remained a grocery store under different proprietors for 20 years. In the 1880s it housed George Rushall’s auctioneering business. From the 1890s until the mid-20th century it was Beckett Bros furniture store. It continued as an auction mart until it became a restaurant and wine bar in the 1990s.” (Gertrude Street, Fitzroy, by Jill Robertson)

Ross & Smith Wholesale & Family Grocers, [then]144-146 Gertrude Street, Fitzroy: cropped
&c from a photo by Davis & Co, c 1861-2, State Library of Victoria LTAF 453 (H26039)

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: