This cottage appears to be named after the family name. More research is required into this.
In the late 1830s the land of Fitzroy was subdivided into 12 sections. Section 85 which was mostly swamp, was the last to be subdivided. In 1876, a plan for the subdivision of the block bordered by Cecil St (N), Young St (W), Westgarth St (S) and Napier St (E) – which was land owned by J M Smith was created.
While the original plan had 7 dwellings on this site (lots 5-11), only 6 houses were built, each as a pair with only one party wall between the pair.