York House corner St Georges Road and Brunswick Street, North Fitzroy.
“This triangular piece of land on which the two storey building at 131 St. Georges Road, North Fitzroy now stands was owned in 1876 by James Ryan and valued at 2 pounds. The following year, 1877, John Ward is shown as owner of a brick house of nine rooms valued at 45 pounds. Ward also owned the adjacent brick house of five rooms valued at 28 pounds. The building is on an acute-angled site, with the corner brought out in a verandah and balcony. The entrance is on the St. Georges Road elevation, and a horizontal band of an interlacing pattern containing rosettes divides the two floors. The ironwork is of a late character and the design is identical to a balcony panel which appears in the catalogue of Excelsior Iron Works, South Melbourne, produced by William Stephens in c.1900 (G R Robertson, Victorian Heritage, Georgian House, Melbourne 1960, p.74 (Plate 64)). A full internal inspection was not possible, however, the front room has a pleasing marble fireplace with different coloured marble colonnettes. (North Fitzroy Conservation Study 1978) (Glossary)