123 Rae Street, Fitzroy North

“This corner two storey brick building was constructed in 1887 as a butcher’s shop. The corner verandah has been removed but the façade is substantially intact. The shop windows are simple with delicate cast iron stall boards, and surmounted by four pane lights at the window head. The composition is broken by the string course at dividing lines and capped by the cement rendered cornice and unmodeled parapet corner console brackets terminate the string course lines at both levels. The chimneys are intact. This building is a strong corner streetscape element. (North Fitzroy Conservation Study, 1978) (Glossary)

The first owner was Betty Caton, listed as a brick shop of 8 rooms. Alfred Caton (butcher) was the occupant. (Fitzroy Rate Book 1887)

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: