This site was the location of a bakery back in 1900, which was located on the left, with a smaller house on the right. Both were removed at some point and replaced with the current building.
Philip Mayer was born in 1861 in Weinberg, Germany and was apprenticed to the bakery trade in Heilbrunn, South Germany at age 14 and then on completion engaged work at Frankfort-on-the Maine. Here he served 2 years as a baker to the German Army, turning out as many as 70,000 loaves daily, he was 21 years. In 1885, Mayer arrived in Victoria and two years later established his bakery in Fitzroy. He was known by his artistically decorated delivery carts. Mayer was also a member of the Melbourne Turn Verin and the German Lodge.