The three houses 105 – 109 Rowe Street were most likely built by Joseph Hollow. He purchased the land for these houses and his house at 103 Rowe Street in 1885 from A Windsor, who most likely had purchased it from Mark Moss, who in 1875 owned the entire block bounded by Rushall Crescent, Falconer, Michael and Rowe streets (Fitzroy – Melbourne’s First Suburb, p.27). You can see more about this background on 105 Rowe Street.
Joseph Hollow had these three identical single storey free standing houses built within a year of purchasing the land. These three houses were initially identical. In looking at the three, it is likely that each has lost some of its original features. Each has polychrome brickwork, though 107 has been painted. 105 and 109 also still retain their original verandah and ironwork, and the original barley twist sash window. They all would have had an ironwork front fence originally, but these have all been replaced. Only 105 has its original path but the veranda flooring appears to have been concreted over.
The three houses where completed by October 1885, J Hollow has them advertised as “Three new brick villas, six rooms, bath, copper, asphalt yard; 1 pound”. It is likely this was a little expensive as they are reduced to 20s per week in November and 18s in December (The Age, 22 Oct, 7 Nov, 19 Dec 1885). And they appear on the rate books at 20 Nov 1885 as brick houses of 8 rooms and none yet have tenants at this time.
Joseph also owned his house at 103 and the three from 105-109 (Rate Books 1885). He also later acquires 95-97 Rowe Street.
By the following year he had tenants – Joseph remains the owner until after his death in 1903. It appears that Naomi Hollow sold these three houses at some point after his death.
David McNeish (Grocer) – resident 1886 – 1887
I don’t know much about David, the following year he is renting 245 Brunswick Street from a Janet McNeish. 243 is also owned by Janet and is rented to a Green Grocer.
James G Cairns (Retired Officer) – resident 1887 – 1888
Yet to research James Cairns or any of the further residents.
William Juirie (Salesman) / Louisa Jurie (Widow) – resident 1888 -1889
William Juirie may pass away shortly after the 1888 rate book registration and by the following year the cottage is recorded with Louisa being resident.
William Imrie & Augustus (Augustine) J Burke (Hairdresser) – resident 1890 – 1910
Augustus had been recorded as sharing the house at 105 Rowe Street with Joseph Fulvotchney (multiple spellings) in 1888, but had now moved into 107. Both are recorded as living here through to 1910 in Sands & Macdougall.
George McKenzie – 1915
Yet to be researched
George Wilson – 1930
Yet to be researched
Matilda Button – 1933
“The curator of the Estates of Deceased Persons has obtained rules to administer the estates of the following deceased persons under Act No. 3682:- Matilda Button, 107 Rowe St, North Fitzroy; formerly of 38 Barry-street, South Yarra” (The Age, 15 Aug 1933)
Norman Stewart and Mrs Stewart – 1935
“Wall – The friends of the late Mrs. Emily Francis Wall are respectfully invited to follow her remains to the place of interment, the St. Kilda General Cemetry. The funeral will leave the residence of her daughter (Mrs Stewart) 107 Rowe Street, North Fitzroy, this day (Thursday, the 17th October at 3 o’clock)” (The Argus, 17 Oct 1935)